Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Mason's eating solids!

We started Mason on solids at 5 1/2 months. He wasn't too sure of it the first day, but he loves it now. We skipped cereal and went straight to banana's. Every 4 days we introduce a new solid and watch for signs of an allergic reaction. Besides banana's he's also had avocado, sweet potato & acorn squash. Right now he's only eating 1-2 times a day. I'll feed him in the morning and then sometimes he'll get some more in the late afternoon. At this time it's only for practice, not so much for meals and nutritional value. He gets everything he needs from breast milk.

I make all of his baby food myself. It's really easy and much cheaper. Plus I love knowing everything that is going into his baby food. http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/ is a great resource.

Hand blender to puree the food


I make large batches and freeze them into one ounce ice cubes. I usually pull out of the freezer what I need for his next meal and stick it in the fridge to thaw. I actually need to order more because two are not enough when I make a large batch.our stash so far: bananas, avocados, apples, peaches, acorn squash, sweet potatoes

2 comments:

Shelly said...

This is so great! I'm thinking about making my own baby food as well, but concerned with the time it will take. What type of apples do you use for baby? Thanks.

Eris1995 said...

I used gala apples. wholesomebabyfood.com also recommends macintosh or braeburn.