Wednesday, August 6, 2008

The beginning

Chris and I found out on April 15th that I was pregnant. We decided that we were going to wait until the 1st trimester was over to tell anyone. It ended up that we weren't able to wait that long and told our immediate family around 8 weeks. This is how we told them-

My mom found out on Saturday of mother's day weekend. Mom, Brittany and I went to Boston for the day to have dinner with Lauren. I gave her a mother's day card that you could record your own message on. Chris and I recorded "happy mother's day Grandma" which played when she opened the card. Inside the card was a poem. My mom and sisters were very surprised and happy. I was so glad I was able to tell all of them together on mother's day!

This is the poem:
I do not have a face to see,
Or put inside a frame.
I do not have soft cheeks to kiss,
I don't yet have a name.
You can't yet hold my tiny hands,
Nor whisper in my ear.
It's still too soon to sing a song,
Or cuddle me so near.

But all will change come Christmas day
That’s when they say I'm due.
I'm your new grandson or granddaughter;
I can't wait till I meet you.

All I ask between now and then
Is your patience while I grow.
I promise I'll be worth the wait,
Because of all the love we'll know.

So what I have to give you now,
Is a wish to you from me.
I cannot wait to be a part
Of this wonderful family!

I'm sure you are excited
But for now don't pass the news on
Because I am being kept a secret
Don't worry, it won't be for long!
Go tell grandpa Chris the news
just him, no one else you hear!
Don't whisper it to a soul...
Not even great grandma L****!
(She’s finding out next weekend!)
Love,

Baby S

We told Chris' family on Mother's Day when we went over for dinner. With the help of our friends Jim & Gary we were able to capture their reactions on camera. My MIL shouted out "I knew it" I guess we weren't as slick at hiding it as we thought.
A week after Mother's Day I went to New Jersey to tell my Dad and Grandma.

To tell my Dad I bought him a frame that had said something about grandkids on it. Since he is into geneology I made a family tree that I put inside. First had him and my mom, and Chris' parents, then it went to Chris and I, and finally baby S. It was great watching his reaction as he read through the names.

Grandma found out later that day over lunch. I gave her the same poem as my Mom, minus a few lines. She must have only read the first few words because right away she looked up at me and whispered, "Are you pregnant?" I nodded my head and made her read the rest.

No comments: